background

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Doughn, doughn, doughn.

Okay, I know this isn't the swimming post, I hope to get that up later today, but there is so much to discuss!

I went on a walk this morning with Anya and I had on a pair of knit sweat pants.  She does not like pants like that. 
A yoga pant, a pair of leggings, non fleece sweat pants...no way, "it's bad and I doughn like it this one". I believe that her traditional upbringing and Russian desire to look your best rule and reign in her heart.

She was walking about 10-15 feet behind me and I hear, quite disgustedly,

"Mama, changa your clothes. You walkin pajamas."

She also got on me the night before for wearing the same pants in the evening, especially when I was going to drop her off somewhere. And I wasn't even going to get out of the car. I actually put on jeans for that one. But you know, if I weren't so daggum mentally drained from her constancy (in craving new knowledge and skills and in talking about them, all day, all the time, forever and ever), I wouldn't have such a pressing need to get into my comfort clothes, you know, the jammie jams. Yeah, so there little girl!

Anya also repeats "Doughn touch it," often and as you may imagine, she hears it often. She also says, "Doughn toucha my fill in the blank!" When she is over stimulated (frequently) she gets, as Scott puts it, handsy. Hence, "Don't touch it." Along with that phrase is another of her favorites, "Whaddaya doin?" and this reflects our checking in on her when there is a long silence.

Scott tried to teach her, "I just don't get it," which she turned into, "I doughn just get it". This has been adapted with the phrase "just kidding" into "I doughn just kidding." Then there is the one for quieting down, "doughn be quiet" said with hand motions that are palm down, and start high, moving slowly downward.

I get a little nervous when I hear some of the other phrases I use to correct her or get her to stop what she is doing and fully expect them to make it into her vocabulary. Reason enough to stop and think.

Catch ya the next time she is quiet and looking at things on her own. 

Yeah, just found her using a hammer that was being used by another to rehang things on her wall. So, maybe I don't have as long as I thought with those silences...

~Monica

1 comment:

  1. Girl, you have so much patience. I give you so much credit. You rock, your are my hero.
    What an amazing family she now has.

    Alexis

    ReplyDelete