background

Saturday, February 18, 2012

No matter how smart you get, you could use some kindness there girl.


Anya’s teacher says the change in three weeks in her understanding of all things school is amazing and all of a sudden it will click and she will jump ahead. I, however, feel like I will be sitting next to her in this class until she is 26. I am too close to the trees to see the forest.

There are 70 phonograms that the kids are learning. A phonogram is basically a letter or group of letters that makes a sound and has a rule. For instance, “dge” is shown on a flashcard and the kids say, “j (the sound of j), three letters”. They also take tests where the sound and rule are given and the kids write the proper phonogram. Obviously I have to learn them too in order to help her. So, the teacher held up a card and Anya chanted off the three sounds it made. I didn’t know she knew it nor did I know if she were correct until the teacher gave the answer. She is learning them faster than I am! She took a test and told me, “I am remembering in my brain!!”

Anya was melting down at number 17 out of 20 on the test (it was the first one I had her take alone while I watched) and the teacher pointed out that during the first three weeks of school for rest of the class, they only had to learn 10 phonograms and Anya is trying to learn 70 in her first three weeks. After meeting with the reading teacher for her weekly assessment, she had done really well and came back in the room saying/singing and dancing to me, “I’m getting really smart, I’m getting really smart!” Of course that set her into a bit of regression (changes and advancements she didn’t know she could do cause that and this one has great possibilities) and the rest of the day was pretty difficult for her.

Compassion 101 by Anya

The previous weekend I’d taken Anya for a burger and a couple in their late 70’s or 80’s were getting out of a booth to leave. I told her, “Someday Papa and I will be really old like that. Then you can help us walk.” Pause. She squints one eye a bit.

“No way. Use your stick.”

That’s my girl.

~Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment