background

Monday, May 2, 2011

Science lab, senior portraits and Dallas, Texas.


Anya has been taking her karate class once a week for a couple of months now. On Mondays she takes drama and now, a science lab class. I wanted to extend her ability to be in classes this term, so she can one day integrate into an all day classroom. I figured the science lab would be fun since it was promoted as “we make this and we make that”. I didn’t realize that on the first day of class, one for 9-11 year olds, they would be given a handout of the periodic table, watch a video song of the elements and all the other kids would be reading off their favorite elements. “I love phosphorus!” 

What had I done?! This child was sitting in her chair, very attentive, but it dawned on me how much she had yet to learn and I wondered if she knows this fact. The class was asked to call out “calcium” when they heard it in the song and they did. A few minutes later Anya thought she heard “California” so she called that out!

I guess it’s all good. Any exposure to new things should come back later when she learns these things more thoroughly. She has been doing well in karate, as far as remembering what the moves and patterns are. The teacher used her as an example to show the other kids a stance last week and I was worried as he gave her other moves to make. She did pretty much all of them. I was amazed. This week they played dodge ball standing in a circle with a beach ball and Anya darted every which way and was the best at avoiding getting hit. Does that come from dodging the other children at the orphanage in Russia and having to protect herself? I don’t know, but she’s good at it. I guess it helps having brothers in their late teens and twenties and a father that tease you constantly.

We took Matt in for his senior portraits at Sun West Studios in Ventura and they suggested we bring Anya for some shots of her. The dog got to come too and we got some really good shots of them. Love the one of Matt and Anya, since they are the two who considered themselves siblings before Dave and I ever knew we’d be adopting her!







In two days Anya and I will join Dave in Texas for his flight training for five days. She is VERY excited to get on the airplane, especially since the flight isn’t 13 hours this time and she keeps pulling her suitcase around the house. She is calm about leaving Chico since Scott and Matt will faithfully take care of him. So, this Mother’s Day, I’ll be coming home from Dallas with Anya on an airplane. Hope it’s a good day!!

Just asked Anya if she wanted a neck pillow for the plane. “Look, you blow it up like this and put it her around your neck for sleeping.”

“Nope. I will sleep on your legs.” I guess she has plans of her own.

~Monica

5 comments:

  1. You're such a good writer, I really enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny thing is, this is just how I see things. I hear all those thoughts in my head as these events occur. I really don't think about what how I'll say this or that-I just have these voices in my head. :) I love your writing too. Now I can see why we were such good friends with our similar senses of humor!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great writing Monica! I love the pictures and so much love in them (as in your writing ) HAVE an awesome Mother's Day, you are wonderful mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Nope I will sleep on your legs." at least she didn't say she'd rest her head on your butt. lol. Her pics are adorable. Love the one with her brother, so sweet.
    Thanks for always posting all of your adventures with your little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The love shared between Matt and Anya in that photo says it all. You have a wonderful family Mon,and Anya completes it. xo Safe trip and Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete