background

Monday, September 27, 2010

Day 3-Terrified Anya Speaks...

On the way out to the orpahnage (the five hour round trip at 100mph on bumpy roads was getting real old), we picked up the social worker, Natalia. She is the woman in the center in the  posted photo of three ladies). The town crier was outside waiting to greet us.

Again we met in the gazebo. Dave ran to the car to get the games and Anya looked at me and said something important. I asked for translation, but they never told me until the way home what it was. "Please don't take me to the States." I knew something was up when the social worker came over, dropped to her knees and spoke softly and rubbed Anya's legs. It turns out that they watch soap operas on TV and the news constantly (for weeks) played stories about the Russian boy that was adopted and then "returned". She believes he was treated terribly and that is her fate if she goes with us.

Vika asked if we could give a gift "from Matt" and that was a smashing success. I actually had a stuffed bear that I slept with for weeks so it would smell like me. Then I put my perfume on it and made sure to wear it on this trip. She was thinking about Matt in delight, pulled the bear out and instantly pulled it to her nose to smell it. Bingo! Delight=Monica's scent.

We looked at the photo album again and she was having a great time. She ran in to give the group some graham cracker cookies we brought and then, she came back out to see us-a first! We decided to leave for lunch and return after their nap time. When we did we went inside to pass out the food gifts and she was in heaven. After that I was taking pictures of one of the rooms and she yelled my name twice to come see her bedroom and take a picture of her on her bed. Later in the day, when asked about us, she emphatically told Vika, "I like them a lot, but I still won't go." She had mentioned the day before that her mom was still here. They won't traumatize her by telling her that her mother relinquished her when she was a baby.




I am not as thrilling as the bear alone
(compare this picture and the one above it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment