background

Monday, September 27, 2010

Quips from Anya's Lips... 7-10

~To distract Anya from listening to the other adults talk about her, in Russian I asked her about her cat. But not knowing the words for male and female and forgetting the word for girl (as well as the trouble with direct translation of words and their meanings at times), I asked her, "Is it a man or is it a woman?" She stared at me directly in the eyes and responded, "It is a CAT," with a bit of "you're a crazy lady" look in her eyes.

~We were talking (through translation) about dogs and cats and here is her take on it all, "I like dogs, but I don't like cats. You can trust a dog."

~Some of the pictures of Scott (our 20 year old son) show him with a hairstyle he likes with most of the top of his hair gelled up to a somewhat of a point. Anya looked at it the first day and said, "He has crazy hair." The next day, she repeated that and added, "It looks like a bear's." New nickname for Scott-bear hair.

~I was reminding her about her relationship with Matt and mentioned one of the times Matt was there, but was sick, had to stay back and Anya was very, very sad. As the translator told her, Anya repeated some of it and I recognized the word for sick (it sounds like boiling, like with a fever). So, I made a vomit sound and stuck out my tongue. She stopped what she was doing, looked at me again and demanded, "Do NOT make faces about Matt."

~I was showing Anya how my earrings and the translator's bracelet were the same stone. The translator told her that when she is older she can wear earrings too. She looked over at me, squinted her eyes, put up her hand and waved it down as she said, "Earrings are frivolous." They all were amazed because it isn't a word a child uses. When asked if she would wear bracelets, she answered, "Oh yes."

No comments:

Post a Comment