background

Sunday, November 7, 2010

The weirdness of it all.


As I sit in a cozy bed with my laptop in Ireland, I think about how weird this whole trip is. We either had to fly home and back (not interested in what the jet lag would do to me with all that), stay in Russia (imposing on our guest for a month) or do something like this. Any choice wasn’t optimal and this seemed the most stimulating, with all costing about the same. Most would relish and plan and dream for this trip and we are really just here to kill time. As I said, weird

One of my newest best friends is the site LateRooms.com. Very last minute all this is (how Yoda-esque of me) and I am just fine with that, which is so not me normally. How odd it is to have adopted and then have to leave the child in an orphanage for two weeks. Again, weird. I have not really been thinking too much about Anya as it’s hard to imagine her still there, waiting and wondering what it will be like with us, but she is starting to really creep back in and dominate my thoughts. I am glad for her to spend the last few weeks with her friends and to be able to know she is going and to be able to say goodbye, instead of her being yanked out of there. I wonder what it will be like the first night I put her to bed in the place we stay in Ryazan. Will we both be calm and peaceful? I think so, even though it will be new for both of us. But there are still about eight days until we see her, so I keep the thoughts of her a bit under control and think mostly about today, as weird as that feels.

Another weird thing, last night, in the same cozy Irish bed, I was chatting of Facebook with a friend who is currently in Eastern Europe adopting a Little Person too. We were two of the only people awake and on Facebook, due to our time zones and chatted away. Current technology is such a weird thing to me that the conversation could be happening in real time with us both on the other side of the world, having met online and not in person in a group for Parents of Little People, when each of us didn’t even have our “Little People” yet. I am amazed by it all. I know it is a common as whatever-is-really-common to the younger set, but I come from a day when you might be able to call someone in another country, but even then, it wasn’t guaranteed successful nor was it cheap! Snail mail was the way to go.

It’s a beautiful clear day for Ireland so it will be a nice drive to Dunluce Castle and Giant’s Causeway and back. The storms start again tonight, just in time for me to drive the length of Ireland the following day!! That’s all for now. The word weird is starting to lose its meaning to me as I read it over and over...
~Monica

 and more "weird" to boot! Matt told me to yawn and this 
is all I could come up with...

No comments:

Post a Comment